Saturday, March 6, 2010

March is Healthy and Hearty Month and my Chicken and Rice Recipe

I know you probably all thought I fell off the face of the earth.  However, I've still been cooking, etc... but have not had time to update my blog.  So, March's menu calendar is done now.  I will hopefully get the shopping list up soon.  If I do, it will be the first one ever, even though I've promised it from the beginning.  To keep with the health kick, I'm sticking with the mostly healthy recipes.  This month is dedicated to being healthy yet giving us hearty comfort food at the same time.  Yes, it can be done!  I hope you enjoy the recipe selections.  I'll be posting more regularly - I hope!

Some of the following posts are recipes - I have links to them on the calendar when they're due.

Here is my own chicken and rice casserole recipe.  It's really good, packed full of nutrition and gets rave reviews.

Chicken and Rice Casserole
Serves 4-6
Bake 350 for 30 min.

1 cup brown rice
1 cup torn, cooked chicken pieces
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. white wheat flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook brown rice according to package directions - it will yield 2 cups after being cooked.  While that is cooking, melt 1 tbsp. butter in saucepan and saute mushrooms, onion, and garlic until tender and fragrant.  Empty out of pan into 13x9 casserole dish.

In the same pan make white sauce by melting 2 tbsp. over low heat.  Stir in flour, salt & pepper.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly.  Remove from heat and add the milk and broth.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.  Pour sauce in casserole with vegetables and add the chicken and rice.
 

 

Stir all together and add more milk if too dry.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Smooth surface of casserole and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.  The top will have a crusty texture, but this makes it really good and crunchy!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment