Saturday, August 13, 2011

Squash Pizza

I know, I know - I didn't make the name of this pizza sound too appetizing.  But it's the truth!  It's topped with summer squash and zucchini (and carrots, mushrooms, spinach, red onion, white pizza sauce, extra sharp cheddar cheese, fresh mozzarella, and ham).  It was delicious!!!!
First I made my pizza dough using this recipe from my friend, Jeanne:
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 TBL yeast
2 TBL sugar (or honey)
Mix together and let sit for a minute or two.

Add:
1 1/2 c. white flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour (or you can use all white)
1 TBL salt
2 TBL olive oil

Add the flour,salt and oil. Mix well.
Add up to one more cup of flour to make soft dough. Knead for 4-5 minutes. . Let rise for 30 - 40 minutes.

Punch down and shape. Will make 1 thick 16" crust or 2 fairly thick 12" crusts.

I made my white pizza sauce:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 2 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or marjoram
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 or 6 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute longer. Add the cream, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the cream thickens and reduces slightly. 
Remove from the heat, stir in the thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper.


Then I added all my veggies in a nice and neat order:

Then after I took the picture, I dumped all the leftover pieces that I still had over the nice and neat pizza and covered the entire thing with delicious extra sharp cheddar cheese and discs of fresh mozzarella.  I baked it in a 500 degree oven for 18 minutes.  YUMMO!


No comments:

Post a Comment